You Have Not Chosen Me

My missionary letter of intent expresses it all...

It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain. (John 15: 16)

Many years ago I perceived that the Lord had chosen me for service to Him. I was blessed to have spent several years working for God and His people through one movement in the Church. Over the past four years, while employed in the secular workforce, I haven’t been able to ignore the tug on my heart to give of myself, once again, in full-time ministry. I desire to respond to the call by putting my life at His disposal and laying it down for the spread of the Gospel.

I am passionate about foreign mission work, knowing that there are so many people in the world awaiting a smile, a word, a heart, an invitation to meet God. I want to share with others the love I have so abundantly received from the Heart of Christ. I want to work among people, use the gifts I have been given, and make some small difference in the world. I also desire to learn from others—because I know that I have as much to receive as to give.

When I participated in a trip with Family Missions Company in General Cepeda last November, I saw ministry and love in action. I was touched by the warm welcome I was given when I arrived, and by the way that warmth extended to the poor and the sick we encountered. I saw the missionaries reaching out in ways that I, a former missionary, found it hard to do. As the week went on, I felt more and more like I was among family.

I desire not only a place to pour myself out in service to the poor and those in need of the Gospel message, but also a community to support me in this mission. Though I have no illusions about the difficulties of community living, I look forward to being among people with whom I am united in prayer and mission, people who challenge me to go deeper and grow in holiness.

I don’t have it all figured out. I don’t quite understand the twists and turns of my vocational journey. And I don’t know where the next step will lead. But I do know that the Lord has chosen me, appointed me, to go and bear fruit in His name. And my response to that is a quiet but clear, “Here I am, Lord. Send me.”

Comments

  1. That's a beautiful story. You have such a beautiful heart for God. It was nice to see you at Mr. C's funeral. We'll keep you in prayer as you enter the next chapter of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts